In 1858 when education was neither free or compulsory a group of
Clyde men realised that a school was
needed for the development of the area. At the time more than half (59%) of Victorian children did not attend formal schools. The efforts of these Clyde pioneers produced a school that
was to function for one hundred and thirty-four years. Aerial photos via Google have a different view of the land. Instead
of the church and pony paddock opposite the
school there is a roundabout, the entrance to a new housing estate and both
school and hall have vanished from sight.
Hidden from view is the record of hundreds of lives shaped and educated in that small school room. Some remnants can only hint at what happened there. The Pupil Register of 1910-1950 is stored in the Public Record Office of Victoria while some photos are kept by the Cranbourne Historical Society.
Next to the school was the first Clyde Public Hall and Library which housed the Honour Board for WW1 soldiers. Cricket was played in McKays paddock on the south side of the hall.
What year was this photo taken? 1926?
Jack Manks, Bill Campbell, Jim Lineham, Dan Dawson, Harold Hook, Lindsay Rickey, Walter Manks, Charles Dawson, Gordon Harris,
Aileen Cantwell, Grace Campbell, Muriel Harris, Jean Cox, Hilda Morgan, Amy Manks, Evelyn Bonny, Josie Dawson, Marjorie Campbell, Evelyn Manks,
boy standing – Lindsay Gamble
George Manks, Ray Kerslake, Jack Dawson, Roy Dawson, Ken Kerslake, Ray Moore, Neville Avard, Clyde Manks
Photo source - Henry Klein.
Clyde North School photograph album can be found at Images on the Clyde History website. Fifteen photos have been uploaded with more to come.
You can respond to this article via email@example.com, leave a comment below or add to